Dream Catcher

Dream Catcher
By: Nene Thomas

Monday, October 31, 2011

The Disappointment of a Child

"Mythical stories always lie at the foundation of something."
     ~The Marriage of Cadmus and Harmony By: Calasso p.175

This is a little late, but better late than never?? We were asked to blog about when we stopped believing in Santa Clause. I remember in elementary school I had a friend and I vividly remember us both strongly arguing with our other classmates in 4th grade that Santa Clause did exist. It was later, either year or the next, that I found out that Santa Clause and the Easter Bunny were really Mommy Clause and the Easter Mommy. I had a different friend who tried to talk me out of these beliefs long before I was arguing that they did with my other friend. She used to set our carrots for the Easter Bunny, well one year her dad had orange teeth in the morning. That was the end of her fantasy. I on the other hand, similar to her, used to set things out for the Easter Bunny and Santa, but I made crafts. Well one year I was going through my parent's closet that they kept Christmas presents for us to give our friends in and I found one of those crafts I had taken the time to create and share with who I thought the Easter Bunny was. I was so disappointed, but what could I do? Besides that, no harm really done, once I got over the initial shock I was fine, plus, Mommy Clause and the Easter Mommy still come every year. =]

No comments:

Post a Comment