Dream Catcher

Dream Catcher
By: Nene Thomas

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

You Walk Deep Into Myth, Into Mystery....

"She who becomes Dionysus's 'bride', the only one chosen from the crowd of women surrounding him, she who even receives a new name from him when he calls her Libera, is also the woman Dionysus has killed. He asks Artemis to do it. The goddess was always ready to draw her bow. Dionysus asks her to transfix Ariadne with an arrow. And he wants to watch too. Then time turns all to euphemism." The Marriage of Cadmus and Harmony p.22

The first thing that popped into my head when I read this passage while reading through the book was, "What does 'euphemism' mean?" According to the Webster's dictionary, 'euphemism' means:

               "a word or phrase substituted for one that may be offensive".

The second thing was that, in a way, the Greeks = a hippie mafia. They were all for love and open sexuality, yet the majority of stories are of rape and most end in death by either suicide or murder. This passage on Ariadne and Dionysus is a prime example of the love - they have physical intimacy - and death - Dionysus has Artemis kill Ariadne while he stands by and watch. The gods and goddesses are the mafia (all family or linked somehow relatives-wise) and the humans are the people who are in the wrong place at the wrong time or somehow get tangled up in affairs they shouldn't be getting involved in.

The main name I was most curious to see what they looked like was Talos: the guardian of Crete made of bronze, created by Hephaestus. I was confused when I found the photo because the book said he was a bull.

This book so far is like a bad puzzle with a few pieces and the photo of what the end product is supposed to look like missing. There are so many random side notes or connections made that if you do not know your Greek mythology well, it is hard to completely understand.


I have now read through chapter 21 of The Magus. I began reading the book myself at chapter seven. And so far it has been going pretty well. The book has changed directions and turned more into a mystery of Mr. Conchis and no longer a weird relationship between Alison and the narrator. Not only that, but the description of the surroundings has become much more vivid.




In class Tuesday, September 13, as everyone who was present knows, half of the class told origin mythsof various items - mainly how the world was created. My favorite creation story so far, I'd have to say, was how the lamppost appeared in the magical land of Narnia. I have read the whole series almost three years ago and it was great to hear a reminder of these classic tales. So thank you Matthew! You made my day by sharing that story. =] I also very much liked the story of how the "lady slipper" flower go its name told by Jennifer. The thing I like the most about hearing Native American legends are the beauty in nature and their descriptions. When I think of myth and folklore I usually only think of Greek/Roman Mythology long enough to say it grazed past my brain. My mind goes elsewhere into the magical and colorful world of imagination. The world becomes filled with bright colors, fairies, vibrant colored flowers, and crystal seas. A world where stars are gorgeous people and wonderful, powerful creatures such as dragons, gryphons, hippogryphs, mermaids, minotaurs, and centaurs exist. Where darkness brings death and destruction, yet new creation of hope. I wish I had a magical world that I could escape to in my wardrobe. For now my imagination will have to do.... =]

No comments:

Post a Comment