Dream Catcher

Dream Catcher
By: Nene Thomas

Thursday, December 8, 2011

And So the End Begins...

“Now the landscape yields up its secret.”
                      The Marriage of Cadmus and Harmony by Calasso p. 75

In class on Tuesday we had the 2nd portion of individual projects. There appeared to be a common theme with the concept of Urfe being a pawn in a chess game and the idea of “destined fate”. I had a few flashbacks of Humanities English 11 in high school and the portion of Calvanism. I religious sect that believes everyone's life is predestined and that only those who are considered “elite” get to enter the kingdom of heaven, but you yourself do not get to choose if you are one of these “elite” or not. Pretty gippy if you ask me.
         Those to speak on Tuesday were as follows:

  • Jerrod → Parenting and Mythology
  • Lucy → The Magus Myth and Predestination/Fate
  • Zach M. → The Magus and 3 Relationships : 1) Alison (Cupid) & Urfe (Psyche)
                    1. Urfe (Hades) & Julie (Persephone)
                    2. Urfe (a pawn) & Choncis (Zeus)
  • Sam → The Magus like the world.
  • Quentin → Prevalence of Hidden Agendas and Double Lives in The Magus
  • Jeremy → The Magus and The Adjusted Bureau
  • Sherwood → Myth and The Magus: Beg. Middles and Ends
  • Andrew → The Magus: Urfe in a fog.
  • Victoria → Freedom and Determinism
  • Ashley → The Magus and Dante's Inferno: the sin of fraud or deceit
  • Darrel → “Here We Go Again”: The Magus, a story we've all heard a million times already.
  • Lauren → The Magus and The Marriage of Cadmus and Harmony
  • Matthew → The Magus: geniuses are insane, like everyone in the book
  • Justin → The Magus and archetypes: Urfe (hero), Lily, Rose & Alison (deceitful female), Choncis (trickster)


Today is the last day of lecture. The final projects will be finished up and reviewing for the final will begin. I'm not gonna lie, and I'm sure most everyone else will agree, I am so! ready for this semester to be over. I am ready for a change in classes and a change in daily routine. Of course I'm not looking forward to the having to readjust to my new schedule, but break will give me plenty of down time to work on things I've been wanting to do all semester but haven't necessarily had time for. Things that include being able to sit back down at the piano and learn some new songs, do some puzzles, work on my cross stitch, work on my long-term scrapbook that I'm working on for a friend, and do some individual research on cattle management and the industry. Break is going to be too short.
                It was great to be able to listen in on all the creative minds of everyone in class. I hope everyone has a fantabulous break and a Merry Christmas!

And remember to live through the myth that dwells inside us all.....for the end is only the beginning...

No comments:

Post a Comment